Sunday, March 11, 2012

An “eclectic group” on a house building adventure!

It all started 7-8 months ago when Mark Huber (who we thank for our house in Fremont) talked about going down to Roatan to build a house for a family that was in need of a shelter, and had some fantastic stories to share from his previous experience.  I said to myself “why not?” and in my mind, had recruited a bunch of others as well – Lea, Satish, Saurabh and John!

Mark had sent around a bunch of emails about the family that we would be building the house for, and I figured he would know best, so we chose to build a house for the Pavon family: http://www.ministrysync.com/event/website/?m=729397#1.  The first week in March was the chosen set of dates, and I figured everyone could make it work.

Just coming off the Tuk n Roll adventure in India, Lea was unable to take additional time off, and it turns out Satish and Saurabh had some work related commitments.  That left John, who was just starting his job search.  I figured I shouldn’t really press him too much.

I got my ticketing done mid-Feb, and that confirmed the trip for me.  I would spend a couple of days in Houston both ways, and a total of 7 days in Roatan.  Sounded great to me!  Tom Hackett (Dwellings/Alternative Misssions) was taking care of the logistics on the ground. Thanks to Mark and Tom, the trip was all set!  One minor detail - need to complete the fundraising goal.  Friends and family were extremely generous towards the fundraising effort for the autorickshaw challenge (http://aminarickshawchallenge.wordpress.com), so didn’t want to bother them again (this yearJ). 
Dates for the trip:  March 4th through March 10th.  Build dates: March 5th to 9th.
Come Feb 27th, John was still on the fence, so I guess a little arm twisting wouldn't hurt! And it worked.  John committed to the trip as well, and we were on our way to Roatan! 

No comments:

Post a Comment